Beef Carpaccio is a classic Italian dish consisting of thinly sliced, raw beef fillet. It is a simple yet elegant appetizer that showcases the flavors of high-quality beef. Follow these steps to create a delicious Beef Carpaccio at home:
- 300g beef fillet
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh lemon juice
- Arugula leaves (optional)
- Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Capers (optional)
- Prepare the Beef: Start by trimming any excess fat from the beef fillet. Pat it dry with a paper towel and season it generously with salt and pepper.
- Wrap and Chill: Wrap the seasoned beef tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for about 1-2 hours. Chilling the meat helps to firm it up for easier slicing.
- Slice the Beef Thinly: Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the chilled beef fillet into paper-thin slices. It’s crucial to have thin, even slices for the perfect Carpaccio.
- Arrange the Carpaccio: Lay the beef slices on a chilled serving platter, slightly overlapping each other.
- Season and Dress: Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over the beef slices, ensuring they are evenly coated. Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice on top to add a tangy flavor.
- Add Optional Ingredients: If desired, you can scatter some fresh arugula leaves, shaved Parmesan cheese, and capers over the beef Carpaccio. These ingredients add extra texture and enhance the taste.
- Let it Rest: Allow the Carpaccio to rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together and the beef to come to room temperature.
- Serve and Enjoy: Serve the Beef Carpaccio as an appetizer or a main course. It pairs well with crusty bread or crostini.
Note: It is essential to use high-quality, fresh beef fillet for this dish since it is consumed raw.
Enjoy the delicate flavors and the artistry of this classic Italian dish!